Casting Call: Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
Disney recently announced plans to produce their own live-action Beauty and the Beast tale. We already have La belle et la bête with Lea Seydoux and Vincent Cassel coming soon and Guillermo del Toro’s announced version with Emma Watson which may or may not ever happen. For this Disney version I’m assuming they will stick close to their animated classic and for that, I give you ten choices for who I think would be the perfect live action Belle.
1. Gemma Arterton. Gemma is not only stunningly gorgeous but has proven herself talented in all genres and even medias (she’s headling a musical very soon!).
2. Antonia Thomas. There’s no doubt in my mind that Disney will cast a white girl who looks like Belle from the animated film but I really wish they’d consider a WOC in the role and especially Thomas, who is one of the most beautiful and spunky actresses working today.
3. Adèle Exarchopoulos. If they want to cast an actual French actress, who better than the lovely and extremely talented Adèle? Plus, she’s new to the scene so she’d be perfect for such an iconic role.
4. Troian Bellisario. Troian is known for her role in ABC Family’s Pretty Little Liars and she has the right mix of youth and maturity for the role of Belle.
5. Jessica Brown-Findlay is younger than she looks and ready for a big role since her departure from Downton Abbey.
6. Keira Knightley may seem too old for the role but she has one of the most strikingly gorgeous faces on the planet.
7. Mary Elizabeth Winstead deserves more fame than she has and this role would be perfect for her.
8. Felicity Jones is another sweet and talented actress who could capture Belle’s warm spirit.
9. Adelaide Kane. Despite being known mostly to CW fans, Kane is actually a very good actress whose portrayal of strong-willed Queen Mary would work in this role.
10. An unknown. Because we always have too high of expectations for these live-action princess roles and since it’s a Disney film, everyone is going to see it anyway.